11th arrondissement in Paris
The 11th Arrondissement of Paris is home to two quite different but equally blossoming centers of Parisian nightlife.
The streets just northwest of Place de Bastille are full of little bars which attract a mix of young suburban Parisians, ex-pats, and foreigners. Many have a Latin-American theme.
Meanwhile the restaurants, bars, and wine-bars around Rue Oberkampf in the north of the 11th and rue de Charonne near Avenue Ledru Rollin attract a more urban crowd and are perhaps closer to something traditionally Parisian, while capturing some of the grungy feel of drinking spots in up-and-coming inner city neighborhoods everywhere.
- Cirque d'Hiver
Mainly used as a concert hall and venue for fashion shows today, the Cirque d'Hiver was originally built in 1852 - as the name would suggest - as a winter venue for circuses.
- Musée Edith Piaf (address: 5 rue Crespin du Gast) (directions: Métro Ménilmontant) +33 1 43 55 52 72
open: 13:00 - 18:00, Mon - Thu (by appointment only)
- Ô Chateau, Paris Wine Tasting
Discover French Wines variety and specificity with a native French Sommelier. Informative, relaxing and fun. In English in a beautiful parisian loft.
- Distribution (address: 108 avenue Ledru-Rollin) (directions: Métro: Ledru-Rollin) +33 1 48 04 30 38
It may be a strange name for a store which sells toys and baby-clothes, but it's a good place to go if you happen to be in town with someone very small and find yourself needing a new pair of jammies, without paying the cost of a night at the hotel. There are a range of new, used and consignment clothes, and if you like they will manufacture tee-shirts, onesies, very small lab-coats, or other such items with a message or design of your choice.
- Gemi's (address: 9, rue Crussol) (directions: Métro: Filles du Calvaire or Oberkampf) +33 1 43 57 08 64
open: 7 days a week, until 1h30 am
This restaurants serves only cheese and wine in a room with a trendy atmosphere. They have a very large choice and will help you discover these two very important french specialities.
- Clown Bar (address: 114 rue Amelot) (directions: Métro: Filles du Calvaire or Oberkampf) +33 1 43 55 87 35
price: The formule for lunch costs 13.50 Euro, while the dinner menu is 18.50. Ordering à la carte will cost you around 22 Euro.
open: Open from Noon to 3PM and 7PM to 2AM
The food served in this absolutely beautiful room is classic French. The decor is classic Circus, which makes sense since it's just two doors north of the building which has traditionally housed circuses passing through during the winter.
- L'Estaminet (address: 116 rue Oberkampf) (directions: Métro: Parmentier or Ménilmontant) +33 1 43 57 34 29
French food with a high degree of originality and creativity. The service is warm and friendly, and so is the decor.
- Norbulinga (address: 118 rue Amelot) (directions: Métro: Filles du Calvaire or Oberkampf) +33 1 47 00 90 18
price: Most dishes are around 7Euro, but some are as little as 5.
open: Open from noon to 2:30PM and 7PM to 11PM daily except Sundays.
Tibetan restaurants aren't widely known to be vegetarian friendly, but this beautifully appointed one certainly is with a list of around 12 vegetarian dishes. Of course there's plenty for meat lovers as well. Some dishes might remind you of spicier western Chinese cooking, others seem a bit more south-Asian.
- Le Trou Normand (address: 9 rue Jean Pierre Timbaud) (directions: Métro: Oberkampf) +33 1 48 05 80 23
open: Open until 1:00am.
- Aux Comptoirs des Indes (address: 50 rue de la Fontaine Au Roi) (directions: Métro: Parmentier) +33 1 48 05 45 76
price: Menus 15 Euro
- Le Troisième Bureau (address: 74 rue de la folie Mericourt) (directions: Métro: Parmentier) +33 1 43 55 87 65
price: 12 to 20 Euro
- Le Kitch (address: 10 rue Oberkampf) (directions: Métro: Oberkampf) +33 1 40 21 94 14
price: 12 to 20 Euro.
open: Daily until 2:00am
A tiny french restaurant with a kitch atmosphere, at least visually. The music on the other hand is fresh, mostly trip-hop and zen as of this writing. The food is good too.
- Café Cannibale (address: 93 rue jean-pierre timbaud) (directions: Métro: Parmentier) 33 1 49 29 95 59
Originally ladies-only, it's now co-ed. The word fashionable doesn't even begin to explain the place.
- Avé Maria (address: 1 rue Jacquard) (directions: Métro: Oberkampf) +33 1 47 00 61 73
Brasilian favela chic. The friendly folks who run this place have been hosting Brasilian dance nights at various venues around town. But don't just come in to check out the posters; stay a while for the fantastic vegetarian friendly South-American and international cuisine at reasonable prices.
- Casa Palenque (address: 130 rue St Maur) (directions: Métro: Parmentier) +33 1 43 38 12 27
price: starters: around €6, mains: around €12
open: Monday to Saturday, noon to 3pm and 7pm to 11pm
This somewhat upmarket Mexican caterer and restaurant places an emphasis on authenticity. It's one of the only places to go in Paris for real tamales.
- Indiana Tex-Mex
The Place de Bastille location of this popular chain of Tex-Mex is worth mentioning at least because of its ability to draw a crowd. Of note also is the truth in advertising: this is Tex-Mex food prepared exactly as you would expect to find in say, Indianapolis Indiana.
- Blue Elephant (address: 43 rue de la Roquette) (directions: Métro: Bastille) +33 1 47 00 42 00
open: You'll pay at least 30 Euro, but it's worth it.
A much beloved Thai restaurant just off of Place de Bastille, this place is tiny, so book ahead.
- Suds (address: 55, Rue Charonne) (directions: Métro: Bastille or Ledru Rollin) +33 1 43 14 06 36
An interesting mix of cuisines from South America, Southern Asia, the South of France or any other southern place the chef takes an interest in.
- Le Café des Anges (address: 66 rue de la Roquette) (directions: Métro: Bastille) +33 1 47 00 63
A good place for salads.
- Le bar à Soupes (address: 33 rue de Charonne) (directions: Métro: Bastille) +33 1 43 57 53 79
A large selection of different soups (including some vegetarian options), a few new ones each day, served with your choice of an equally wide selection of breads and cheeses.
- Le Cyrano (address: 55 rue de la Roquette) (directions: Métro: Bastille)
open: Menu: 15€
- Grenier (address: 152 rue Oberkampf) (directions: Métro: Menilmontant)
price: A basic beer will set you back all of €2.
An excellent but tiny dive bar with live bands upstairs in the hall some nights, but usually downstairs in the front window. This is a great place to hear Django Reinhartd-style jazz guitar playing (Jazz Manouche).
- Le Vin de Zinc (address: 25 rue Oberkamp) +33 1 48 06 28 23
Parisien bar-tops are almost consistently made of zinc, as is the one found at this lovely wine-bar, so you can spill your wine on it and it won't hurt anything.
- Chez Justine (address: 96, rue Oberkampf) (directions: Métro: Parmentier) +33 1 43 57 44 03
price: Draft beer at the bar is €3.
- Nouveau Casino et Café Charbon (address: 109 rue Oberkampf) (directions: Métro: Parmentier) +33 1 43 57 57 40
price: 5€ for a glass of beer.
Right across the street from Justine's the New Casino keeps rocking until dawn both in the bar downstairs and the medium-size dance hall upstairs, making it the favorite among young Parisians, especially after the other places in the neighborhood have closed. The dance/concert hall features cutting-edge indi rock groups and cutting-edge electronica. The prices do reflect the hipness however.
- Ba-ta-clan (address: Boulevard Voltaire) (directions: Métro: Oberkampf) +33 1 49 23 96 33
Not long ago this place occupied the pinnacle of hipness which at which the Nouveau Casino now finds itself. It's been through a management change though, and doesn't have quite the booking power it once did. Still, you should stop by, especially in the afternoon as the café downstairs is outstanding, perhaps even better than in the old days.
- L'Ancienne Menuiserie (address: 29, rue des Trois-Bornes) (directions: Métro: Saint Ambroise) +33 1 43 14 98 91
With a young and hip clientele and music that is subdued, rather than screaming, L'Ancienne does well with those that want a break from the busy Rue Oberkampf.
- Mecano Bar (address: 99 rue Oberkampf) (directions: Métro: Parmentier)
- Le Scherkhan (address: 144 rue Oberkampf) (directions: Métro: Ménilmontant)
- Café du Passage (address: 12, rue de Charonne) (directions: Métro: Parmentier) +33 1 49 29 97 64
Sip and swirl some full bodied wines at this casual bistro that offers wine tastings every Saturday.
- Entre Potes (address: 14, Rue de Charonne) +33 1 48 06 57 04
- Les marcheurs de planete (address: 73, Rue de la Roquette) +33 1 43 48 90 98
French wine bar with good prices and atmosphere and a friendly staff.
- Hôtel Voltaire République (address: 10, boulevard Voltaire) (directions: Métro: République) +33 1 47 00 21 47
Located a few steps away from Republic Square. Local bakery, supermarket, laundry, & many other services are close to the hotel.
All rooms are en-suite, with TV & direct dial telephone. WIFI is available in room.
- Hôtel Mondia (address: 22 rue du Grand-Prieuré) (directions: Métro: Oberkampf or Répubique) +33 1 47 00 93 44
- Hôtel de Nemours (address: 8, rue de Nemours) (directions: Métro: Parmentier) +33 1 47 00 21 08
- Auberge Internationale des jeunes (address: 10, rue Trousseau) (directions: Métro: Ledru-Rollin) +33 1 47 00 21 08
- Hotel Campanile Paris Bastille (address: 9, Rue Chemin Vert) (directions: Métro: Chemin Vert) +33 1 43 38 58 08
- Bastille Hostel (address: 6, rue Trousseau) (directions: Métro: Ledru-Rollin) +33 1 47 00 62 00
- Grand Hotel de l'Avenue (address: 14, rue Rampon) (directions: Métro: République) +33 1 47 00 61 98 firstname.lastname@example.org
price: 73€ for a double, 64€ for single
- Grand Hotel Français (address: 223 Boulevard Voltaire) (directions: Métro: Rue des boulets , Boulets Montreuil) +33 1 43 71 27 57
The Grand Hotel Français Paris has been operated by the same family for over 100 years. They're quite proud of their hotel-operations lore handed down through the generations.
- Classics Hôtel (address: 131, rue de Charonne) (directions: Métro: Charonne) +33 1 44 64 34 34
- Grand Hôtel Nouvel Opera (address: 152, avenue Ledru-Rollin) (directions: Métro: Voltaire) +33 1 43 79 98 76
This little 3-star gets pretty much consistently positive reviews on line.
- Hôtel du Nord et de l'Est (address: 49, rue de Malte) (directions: Métro: République or Oberkampf) +33 1 47 00 71 70
price: 70/90€ singles/doubles.
Found among a cluster of two-star hotels off of Place de la République, the North and East has been in the process lately of doing some renovation, bringing some but not all of the rooms up to high three-star standards. Regardless of which type of room you book the place is quiet and cheerful and has WI-FI. It's a good value, and to top it off they often have vacancies when all of the hotels in more popular quarters are booked.
- Hôtel Le Quartier République, Le Marais (address: 39, rue Jean-Pierre Timbaud) (directions: Métro: Parmentier or République) +33 1 48 06 64 97
- Le Général Hôtel (address: 5-7 rue Rampon)
3 star hotel near République and Oberkampf with mostly positive reviews. They've certainly put a certain amount of budget into graphic and interior design. Please note that the breakfast is not included.
- Malte 38 (address: 38 rue de Malte)
Internet café with good rates.