Almere is a city in Flevoland, a western province of the Netherlands. Almere is a new town, it has a new city centre. Beacause it's so new: if you're looking for old buidings, just go elsewhere: the oldest builing is only from 1976! Almere has 191.239 inhabitants on april 1, 2011 and makes it the 7th city of the Netherlands.
- By train - from Schiphol, Amsterdam, Utrecht and Lelystad are direct connections.
- By car - take the A6, or if you're coming from Utrecht, the A27 is the best option.
Almere has five train stations. Almere Muziekwijk, Almere Centrum, Almere Parwijk, Almere Buiten, and Almere Oostvaarders. Almere also has an extensive network of freelaying bus routes. On most of these routes, busses will ride every seven minutes. Less during evenings and Sundays.
The city also features an extensive network of free laying bike paths covering the entire city. Bikes can be rented at the bike shops at the train stations Almere Centrum and Buiten.
- CASLa  Centre for architecture, city construction and landscape of Almere, with exhibitions and various events.
- Museum De Paviljoens  A museum for contemporary art.
- Brasserie Bakboord +31 (0)36 540-4040
On the water in Almere Haven, is an excellent place to eat, and has a relaxed atmosphere. The staff are very friendly and knowledgeable, and the food is a joy! Tip: choose the 3- or 4-course menu with wine suggestions (as long as you're not driving home, that is!!)
- Kemphaan Restaurant (directions: It's just outside town, so you'll need a car to get there) +31 (0)36 532-3844
For something special try the Kemphaan Restaurant, the ingredients are almost all home-grown. There's no fixed menu, they just create a menu with whatever is fresh on the day. High quality food and what you eat will be a surprise! The 5-course menu is very filling, so if you're not a big eater, remember to ask for a 3-course menu when you book. Excellent for vegetarians.
Most bars are on the Grote Markt. There are some bars in the Havenkom, this is harbor of Almere-Haven, here you can eat and drink while enjoying the view of the bay in a very calm setting.
- Hotel Anno is in the centre, on the Grote Markt.
- The Bastion Hotel is on the outskirts of the town, just off the A6.
- Lelystad has some interesting sights, such as the recreated VOC ship
- Oostvaardersplassen this nature reserve is one of the prime birding areas in Europe
- Schokland this island used to be similar to Urk, but had to be evacuated. A ghost village remains and is a UNESCO World Heritage Site
- Urk traditional old Dutch village community that once was an island