Black Creek Pioneer Village in Toronto
Black Creek Pioneer Village is a historic site in Toronto, Ontario, Canada, just west of York University and southeast of the Jane and Steeles intersection. It overlooks Black Creek, a tributary of the Humber River. The village is a recreation of life in 19th-century Ontario and gives an idea how rural Ontario might have looked in the early-to-mid-19th century. The village is a regular destination for field trips by schoolchildren from the Greater Toronto Area. It is operated by the Toronto and Region Conservation Authority.
B. Napier Simpson, Jr. 1925-1978, a restoration architect in Ontario devoted his professional life to raising public awareness of the importance of heritage conservation including the Black Creek Pioneer Village project.
The pioneer village consists of over forty historic 19th century buildings, decorated in the style of the 1860s with period furnishings. It is operated by historical interpreters and craftspeople housed in the restored buildings. The site also features historical re-enactments and visiting artisans. Buildings include Dalziel barn, period houses, the original Stong Family farm buildings, a water-powered grist mill, a general store, a blacksmith's shop along with over 10 other trades buildings, a hotel, a church, and a one-room schoolhouse. A core of buildings built by the Stong family are on their original sites, while others have been moved in from across Southern Ontario.
The majority of the buildings were moved from their original sites (notably the large Halfway House and Mennonite Meeting House), and some re-built on their current locations.
The Museum is affiliated with: CMA, CHIN, and Virtual Museum of Canada.
- Upper Canada Village
- List of oldest buildings and structures in Toronto