Foster City is a quiet suburban city on the Peninsula in the San Francisco Bay Area of California. Primarily residential and lacking in a downtown, it also has a couple of large office parks and several large employers including Gilead, Visa, and Sony.
There only direct public transit to Foster City is via bus, either AC Transit (from the East Bay, there is express service from the Union City and Hayward BART stations) or SAMTrans (several routes.) There are also shuttles from the Hillsdale Caltrain station in San Mateo, although service has been cut back.
It is also very readily accessible from Highway 92 (Foster City Boulevard and Edgewater/Mariner's Island) exits, and indirectly from Highway 101 (Hillsdale.)
- Leo J. Ryan Park (address: East Hillsdale Blvd. across from The Marketplace)
Leo J. Ryan Memorial Park encompasses 20 acres overlooking Central Lake, the largest water expanse in the lagoon system, and is home to the William E. Walker Recreation Center. Besides the wonderful waterfront setting, the park includes an outdoor amphitheater, sailboat tie-up facilities, boardwalk, lawn areas, and a gazebo on the lake. (Restroom facilities are also available.)
Foster City has one of the nicest 4th of July fireworks on the Peninsula, and with budget cutbacks in 2010 eliminating fireworks from many other communities, it drew a very large crowd.
There is an annual "Art and Wine" festival each June.
There are two shopping centers with supermarkets/large pharmacies, and a couple of smaller ones with local restaurants. The most convenient for travelers is along the north side of Hillsdale, directly across from Ryan Park.
- Joy Restaurant, 1495 Beach Park Blvd, Foster City, CA, 650.345.1762- Chinese cuisine; Claims to have some of the best pot stickers in the Bay Area.
- Harry's Hofbrau, 1297 Chess Drive, in the section just north of Highway 92. A carvery and brewery in the old German biergarten style, only thankfully without the oompah band.
- Edgewater Shopping Center (- while none of the restaurants here are particularly distinguished food-wise, several of them - including Boardwalk Pizza (pizza and mediterranean food) and Mr. Fong's (Chinese seafood and Dim Sum) feature outdoor or indoor seating with views over the lagoon.
- The Clubhouse Bistro Sports Bar Foster City (address: 1221 Chess Drive, Foster City, CA 94404) 650-570-5700
The Clubhouse Bistro is a small suburban nightclub with a cocktail lounge and bistro restaurant. Located in the small part of Foster City north of 92; while undistinguished, it's the only such venue in this part of the peninsula.
Foster City has several hotels, mostly focussed on mid-range corporate accomodation.
- Courtyard San Mateo Foster City (address: 550 Shell Boulevard) +1 650 377-0600
Just 15 minutes from San Francisco Airport and 20 from Downtown San Francisco via the nearby Cal Train, the hotel is located at the intersection of major highways 101 and 92. The 212 acre lagoon offers cruises, boating and windsurfing.
- Crowne Plaza Hotel (address: 1221 Chess Drive) +1 650 570-5700