Institute and Museum of the History of Science in Florence
The Museo Galileo (before 2010 known as the Institute and Museum of the History of Science, IMSS, ) is based in Florence, Italy. It was founded in 1927 by the University of Florence. The museum is located in the Piazza dei Giudici, by the River Arno and close to the Uffizi Gallery.
Among the more famous of its collections is the middle finger from the right hand of Galileo Galilei, which was removed when Galileo's remains were transported to a new burial spot on April 12, 1737.
The museum features many artefacts from the 15th to 19th century, mostly pioneering scientific instruments including world globes, stethoscopes, navigation instruments and telescopes with accompanying videos to the exhibits.