Karlsplatz (Stachus) in München
Stachus is a large square in central Munich, southern Germany. The square has been named officially Karlsplatz in 1797 after the unpopular Charles Theodore, Elector of Bavaria. Munich natives seldom use that name, calling the square instead Stachus, after the pub Beim Stachus, once owned by Eustachius Föderl, that was located there until construction work for Karlsplatz began.
Most important buildings dominating the square are on the east side the Karlstor, a gothic gate of the demolished medieval fortification and the rondell buildings on both sides next to the gate (constructed by Gabriel von Seidl 1899-1902). In front of the Karlstor, which was first documented in 1301 and called Neuhauser Tor until 1791, is during the summer period a big fountain. In winter an open-air ice rink is installed there. The most significant buildings on the opposite west side are the neo-baroque Justizpalast (Palace of Justice) and the Kaufhof, the first postwar department store of Munich (by Theo Pabst, 1950/1951).
The underground contains a large shopping center. Also between Stachus square and Marienplatz the main pedestrian area of the city (Neuhauser Strasse / Kaufinger Strasse) houses numerous shops and restaurants.
The Karlsplatz (Stachus) U-Bahn and S-Bahn station is located below the square. The Stachus also serves as a hub for the city's tramway system, with a four track tram station located on Altstadtring, the Old Town's orbital road system.