Königsplatz in München
Königsplatz is a square in Munich, Germany.
The square was designed with the creation of the Brienner Straße at the command of Crown Prince Ludwig of Bavaria by Karl von Fischer and laid out by Leo von Klenze.
Klenze framed the square with the "Ionic" Glyptothek and the "Doric" Propylaea (Propyläen; created as memorial for the accession of Otto of Greece). The "Corinthian" State Museum of Classical Art was erected by Georg Friedich Ziebland, on its back St. Boniface's Abbey is situated.
The Lenbachhaus is situated at the north-west side of the square. The area around Königsplatz is today the home to the Kunstareal, Munich's gallery and museum quarter.
Königsplatz during the Third Reich
As a beautiful and monumental place, the Königplatz was used during the Third Reich as a field for the Nazi Party's mass rallies. The Brown House, the national headquarters of the Nazi Party (Nationalsozialistische Deutsche Arbeiterpartei) in Germany was located at 45 Brienner Straße close to the square.
Two "Honor Temples" (Ehrentempel) were erected at the east side for the remains of the sixteen Nazis who died in the 1923 Beer Hall Putsch. Both temples were demolished by the US-Army in 1947, although their platforms remain to this day. Two buildings of the Nazi party constructed by Paul Troost next to the temples still exist; in one of them, the Führerbau, the Munich Agreement was signed in 1938. Today it is a school for music and theatre called the Hochschule für Musik und Theater München.
The start of construction for a Documentation Center educating visitors about Nazism at Königsplatz is planned for 2008.
Der Marsch zum Führer (English: The March to the Führer) is a Nazi propaganda film released in 1940. It depicts the nationwide march of Hitler Youth (HJ) to Nuremberg the HJ march through Königsplatz.
The Königsplatz is served by a U Bahn station of the same name.
- Nazi architecture
- Panorama Königsplatz - Interactive 360° Panorama
- Alan Heath : Munich Königsplatz - film showing the site