Lamport Stadium in Toronto

Show Map


Allan A. Lamport Stadium is a multi-purpose stadium on King Street West in the Liberty Village neighbourhood of Toronto, Ontario, Canada. It is used mostly for soccer. It was built in 1974 on the site of the notorious Andrew Mercer Reformatory for Women, opened in the fall of 1975 and holds 9,600 people. The field playing surface is marked for soccer and field hockey.

The stadium was named for late Toronto mayor Allan Lamport, in office from 1952 to 1954. Also, the site was the second home of the Wachea tent city in July 1971 after it was moved from the downtown U of Toronto campus as it was an embarrassment to both the university and the City of Toronto since it brought unwanted publicity to the homeless and transient youth of Toronto.

From late 2007 through to early 2008, the old artificial turf was removed and replaced with a more modern artificial surface, Dol Turf, made by the company of the same name.

Both SC Toronto and Major League Soccer team Toronto FC's Academy side play their Canadian Soccer League home games at Lamport Stadium. The OUA's Ryerson Rams soccer teams also call the stadium home.

The Toronto Nationals have announced that they would be playing the 2010 season at Lamport Stadium, effectively ending their tenancy at BMO Field.

See also

  • Centennial Park Stadium
  • Varsity Stadium
  • Birchmount Stadium
  • Monarch Park Stadium
  • Metro Toronto Track and Field Centre
  • Rosedale Field

External links




Source en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lamport_Stadium