Mackenzie House in Toronto
Mackenzie House is a historic building and museum in Toronto, Canada that was the last home of William Lyon Mackenzie, the city's first mayor.
Mackenzie was forced into exile in the United States after having led the Rebellion of 1837. He returned to the newly-created Province of Canada in 1850, and died in this house in 1861. Mackenzie House is purportedly haunted by William Mackenzie, allegedly seen working his printing press.
The neighbouring row houses were demolished in 1936, while Mackenzie's grandson, William Lyon Mackenzie King, was Prime Minister. However, this house was saved because of its historical significance. Designed in the Georgian architecture style, today the house serves as a municipally-run historic house museum about 1860s Victorian life.
An interesting addition to the grounds are the side panels of the Memorial Arch that once stood at the foot of the Honeymoon Bridge in Niagara Falls, Ontario. Built in 1930s, the arch was demolished in 1960s and the panels stored until it was moved to Toronto in 1974. It is installed in an area next to the historic home.
The Museum is affiliated with: CMA, CHIN, and Virtual Museum of Canada.
- Mackenzie House
- Cruikshank, Tom. Old Toronto Houses. Toronto: Firefly Books, 2003.
- List of oldest buildings and structures in Toronto