Maison de Victor Hugo in Paris
Maison de Victor Hugo is a museum, operated by the City of Paris, which preserves the house that Victor Hugo lived in for 16 years from 1832–1848.
The museum is in the Place des Vosges and dates from 1605 when a lot was granted to Isaac Arnauld in the south-east corner of the square. It was substantially improved by the de Rohans family, who gave the building its current name of Hôtel de Rohan-Guéménée. Victor Hugo was 30 when he moved into the house in October 1832 with his wife Adèle. They rented a 280 square metre apartment on the second floor. The mansion was converted into a museum when a large donation was made by Paul Meurice to the city of Paris to buy the house.
The museum consists of an antechamber leading through the Chinese living room and medieval style dining room to Victor Hugo’s bedroom where he died in 1885.
Access and opening times
The museum, at 6, place des Vosges is within easy walking distance of three Paris Metro stations. They are:
Opening times are from Tuesday to Sunday from 10am to 6pm. It is closed on Mondays and public holidays. Phone numbers for the museum are 00 33 (1) 42 72 10 16 and for fax 00 33 (1) 42 72 06 64
- List of museums in Paris
- Gives a history of 6, Place des Vosges
- Details of museum opening times.
- Details about the museum with photographs of some of the contents.