Metairie in New Orleans
Metairie is the largest suburb of New Orleans, Louisiana, located in Jefferson Parish. While much of the city experienced moderate flooding in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina in 2005, Metairie has rebounded quickly.
- Louis Armstrong International Airport, the main airport of the Greater New Orleans area, is in the town of Kenner, which borders Metaire just to the west.
- I-10 Interstate Highway 10 is the main auto route in the area.
By car; while their are some bus routes public transit is poor in Metairie.
Wide Veterans Highway is the main commercial avenue, running east to west. Narrow winding Metaire Road runs through the older part of town, flanked by more upscale small businesses. Causeway Boulevard runs south to north, connecting with the causeway across Lake Pontchartrain leading to the North Shore.
At the start of the 20th century, most of what is now Metaire was a mixture of farmland and swamp. In the 1910s and 1920s, suburban development from neighboring New Orleans spread along Metaire Ridge, natural high ground along winding Metaire Road. Most development, however, occurred in the boom following World War II. While lacking the history and architecture of New Orleans, Metaire is an economic center in Greater New Orleans.
- Clearview Mall 4436 Veterans Blvd (at Clearview Parkway)  Shopping mall.
- Dorignac's Food Center 710 Veterans Blvd. Locally owned supermarket not only stocks groceries; their wine and liquor aisles offer one of the best selections in the metro area.
- Lakeside Mall 3301 Veterans Blvd. (stretching from Causeway Blvd to Severn Avenue)  Shopping mall
- Cafe Equator, 2920 Severn Ave . Thai food.
- City Diner, 3116 S. I-10 Service Road (at Causeway Boulevard just south of I-10)  Tel. 831.1030. Good diner food with New Orleans accents. 24 hours.
- Corky's Bar-B-Q, 4243 Veterans Memorial Blvd. Barbeque, eat in or take out from the drive thru window.
- Eggroll House, 3507 Veterans. Good fast reasonably priced Chinese.
- Frosty's Cafe, 3400 Cleary Ave. Small restaurant serves Vietnamese food and po-boys; their tasty bubble-teas and fresh fruit drinks are popular for take out as well.
- Kosher Cajun, 3519 Severn Avenue . Kosher New York-style deli, with some kosher Louisiana items on the menu. Also has a kosher grocery. Tel. 888-2010
- Lee's Hamburgers 3 locations, 904 Veterans Blvd; 3516 Veterans; 1507 Metairie Road. Small local chain of burger joints.
- Royal China 600 Veterans Blvd. Dim-sum and other southern Chinese.
- Semolina 4436 Veterans Blvd., Suite 37 (in the Clearview Mall)  Variety of pasta based dishes.
Cafes and snacks
- Gaspare's, 4421 Clearview Pkwy. Italian style gelato. Tel. 267-5552
- Morning Call , 3325 Severn Avenue, behind Lakeside Mall. 24 hour coffee & begniets. For over 100 years this was the competition to the French Quarter's Cafe du Monde until it moved out to the suburbs in the 1970s.
- Café B  2700 Metairie Road, tel. 934-4700 New addition to the well regarded New Orleans area "Brennan's" family of restaurants.
- Drago's 3232 N Arnoult Rd (6 blocks back from Veterans across from Lakeside Mall)  tel 304-9578. Seafood & Creole; a Metaire institution since 1969.
- P F Chang's China Bistro 3301 Veterans Blvd (in Lakeside Mall). Branch of national chain, upscale Chinese.
- Sun Ray Grill 619 Pink Street (a block off Metairie Road at Focis Street)  tel 837-0055. Gulf Coast & Mediterranean.
- Vincent's 4411 Chastant (Just back from West Esplanade Avenue; 1 block up from Transcontinental Dr.) . Creole-Italian; also has branch in the Carrollton section of New Orleans.
- Zea 4450 Veterans Blvd (in the Clearview Mall)  Metaire branch of this popular small local chain. Rotisserie & grill and good microbrewed beer.
Lager's 3501 Veterans Blvd. , Bar and grill, 75 beers on tap.
- Days Hotel 3400 I-10 Service Road (near Causeway Blvd) - Free parking and a location in the heart of Metairie's Central Business District, minutes away from the New Orleans International Airport, downtown New Orleans, the Historic French Quarter, Convention Center and the city's world renowned restaurants. Tel 833-8201
- Four Points By Sheraton 6401 Veterans  Situated in suburban Metairie, Four Points by Sheraton New Orleans Airport. Smoke-free hotel. After a $4 million renovation, every room is equipped with new, inviting furniture and amenities.
- Ramada Limited Metairie (address: 2713 North Causeway) (directions: I-10 at Exit 228) 835-4141
- TownePlace Suites New Orleans Metairie (address: 5424 Citrus Boulevard) 504-818-2400
This hotel offers amenities including an outdoor swimming pool, fitness center, continental breakfast, and free wireless Internet.
- Wyndham Metairie New Orleans Hotel, 4 Galleria Blvd., Tel: 837-6707, Fax: 837-6906, . Only minutes from New Orleans history and nightlife and close to the businesses and attractions of Metairie and Lake Pontchartrain's southern shore.
- New Orleans Marriott Metairie at Lakeway (address: 3838 North Causeway Boulevard, Metairie, LA 70002) 504-836-5253
Located along the scenic shores of Lake Pontchartrain in Metairie, LA.
- The attractions of central New Orleans are about a half hour drive east (though it can take longer during rush hour).
- Baton Rouge is about a 75 minute drive west on Interstate 10.
- Covington and the Lake Pontchartrain North Shore are within an hour's drive north over the Lake Pontchartrain Causeway.
Telephone area code is 504, same as New Orleans.