Palau Reial Major in Barcelona
The Palau Reial Major (, "Grand Royal Palace") is a complex of historic buildings in Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain. It was a residence of the counts of Barcelona and, later, of the Kings of Aragon. It is composed of three distinct edifices:
- the Saló del Tinell, built by King Peter IV in 1359-1362
- the Palatine Chapel of St. Agatha (1302), built under King James II
- the Palau del Lloctinent (1549), built by Charles V.
The Saló del Tinell occupies the interior of the original 11th-century edifice (built over a pre-existing monumental structure dating to the Visigoth age), reconstructed in the 14th century under the direction of Guillem Carbonell. The Chapel of St. Agatha, in Catalan Gothic style, was designed by Bertran Riquer to act as royal chapel, replacing the previous oratory. It has an octagonal tower from the early 14th century, and it consists of a single aisle with a barrel vaulted ceiling, and ends with a polygonal apse. The sacristy is built within the ancient Roman walls. By commission of Peter V of Aragon (1463-1466), a fireplace decorated by Juan Claperós was added in the Saló del Tinell, as well as 60 terracotta tiles in the Chapel's pavement, portraying angels and the coats of arms of Aragon, and the altarpiece of the Epiphany by painter Jaume Huguet.
After the 16th century the edifice was no longer used as royal residence, and was divided between the Inquisition and the royal administration. In this period the door leading to the Royal Audience Hall was built, with a triangular tympanum (now the entrance of the Museu Frederic Marès).
The Palau de Lloctinent was constructed in 1549-1557 by Antoni Carbonell, in late Gothic-Renaissance style. Also from this period is the so-called Mirador of King Martin, a five-storey tower on a rectangular plan (1555).