Ponte degli Scalzi in Venice
The Ponte degli Scalzi (or Ponte dei Scalzi), literally, "bridge of the barefoot [monks]", is one of only four bridges in Venice, Italy, to span the Grand Canal.
The bridge connects the sestieri of Santa Croce and Cannaregio. On the north side, Cannaregio, are the Chiesa degli Scalzi (Church of the Barefoot or Discalced Monks) and the Santa Lucia (Ferrovia) railway station. The south side, Santa Croce, is close to the bus station Piazzale Roma.
Designed by Eugenio Miozzi, it was completed in 1934, replacing an Austrian iron bridge. It is a stone arch bridge.
Ponte degli Scalzi is located close to the site of construction of the fourth bridge over the Grand Canal, popularly known as Ponte di Calatrava although it was formally inaugurated as the Ponte della Costituzione. Construction was delayed in part due to controversy over its modern style, but the basic span was finally in place on August 11, 2007, and the bridge was opened for public use on September 11, 2008. This bridge is closer to the bus station than the Scalzi bridge.