Rathaus Schöneberg in Berlin
Rathaus Schöneberg is the city hall for the Borough of Tempelhof-Schöneberg in Berlin.
It was constructed between 1911–1914 for Schöneberg, at that time an independent city not yet incorporated into Berlin, which took place in 1920.
After World War II the undestroyed Neues Stadthaus, the former head office of Berlin's municipal fire insurance Feuersozietät, in Parochialstraße in East Berlin, served as intermittent city hall, replacing the ruined Rotes Rathaus (Red City Hall, also in East Berlin), the traditional seat of the Berlin government. With the division of Berlin's city government and administration in September 1948 the Neues Stadthaus was in the Communist Ostsektor (eastern sector) and became off limits to West Berlin. As a "temporary" measure Rathaus Schöneberg on Rudolph-Wilde-Platz became the city hall for West Berlin.
After re-unification, Rathaus Schöneberg reverted back to its original purpose of being Schöneberg Borough Town Hall. In 2001, after a re-organisation of the Berlin Boroughs, Rathaus Schöneberg became the town hall for the newly constituted borough of Tempelhof - Schöneberg.
Rathaus Schöneberg on Rudolph-Wilde-Platz is the location where U.S. President John F. Kennedy held his famous speech in June 1963, proclaiming "Ich bin ein Berliner". The square was renamed John-F.-Kennedy-Platz on 25 November 1963, three days after Kennedy's assassination. A large plaque dedicated to Kennedy is mounted on a column at the entrance of the building and the room above the entrance and overlooking the square is dedicated to Kennedy and his visit.
It was also the permanent home to an exhibition of the life of Willy Brandt (1913–1992), Mayor of West Berlin from 1957 to 1966, Chancellor of the Federal Republic of Germany 1969–1974. The exhibition was closed as from January of 2010; it is planned to open again at another site in the city.
Since 2005 the exhibition called Wir waren Nachbarn - Biografien jüdischer Zeitzeugen (English title:We were Neighbours once - Biographies of Jews in Schöneberg and Tempelhof under the Nazi Regime) takes place in the exhibition hall of the Rathaus Schöneberg.
The clock tower contains the Freiheitsglocke, a bell which was donated by the people of the United States to Berlin.