Redpath Sugar Refinery in Toronto
The Redpath Sugar Building is a sugar storage, refining and museum building in Toronto, Canada. The building is located just east of downtown at the foot of Jarvis Street at Queen's Quay.
The building, opened in 1958, houses the storage and refining plant for Toronto-based Redpath Sugar. The complex consists of Building 1 (8 floors), a chimney stack and Building 2 (5 floors) houses the sugar museum. The sugar processed at the plant originates in the Caribbean, and is delivered and stockpiled by ships using the St. Lawrence Seaway. Due to the limited shipping season, sugar cane is stockpiled each fall in facilities next to the processing plant.
In 2006, the illuminated red "Redpath Sugar" sign that adorned the north side of the building was removed and replaced with a sign (since removed) of "Tate & Lyle" the former owners (Redpath is currently owned by American Sugar Refining Inc). The Redpath signage on the West side of the building is still intact. The north-facing wall of the Raw Sugar Shed features a whale mural by artist Wyland.
Redpath Sugar Museum
Since 1979, Redpath has operated the Redpath Sugar Museum in the building, with exhibits on the refining of sugar and making of sugar products. The Museum is affiliated with the Canadian Museums Association, Canadian Heritage Information Network, and Virtual Museum of Canada.
- Harbourfront - neighbourhood in Toronto
- Peter Redpath
- Redpath Museum
- Toronto Harbour
- Sugar Beach