Salem Willows in Salem
Salem Willows is an oceanfront neighborhood and amusement park in Salem, Massachusetts. It is named for the European white willow trees planted there in 1801 to form a shaded walk for patients convalescing at a nearby smallpox hospital. The area became a public park in 1858, and in the twentieth century became a summer destination for residents of Boston's North Shore, many of whom escaped the heat of the city on newly popular streetcars. Many establishments on Restaurant Row, the park's north side, served fresh seafood, while a carousel with carved flying horses was another special attraction at an amusement park that survives to this day. Although the last of the original restaurants closed in the 1960s, there are still numerous take-out stands to choose from. While it is not actually an amusement park anymore, it has several arcades, one containing a few rides. There is also a small beach.