San Polo (church) in Venice
The Chiesa di San Polo is a Catholic church in Venice, dedicated to the Apostle Paul. It gives its name to the San Polo sestiere of the city. The current Gothic church dates from the 15th century, but a church has stood on the site since the 9th century and the south doorway, possibly by Bartolomeo Bon, survives from this church. The detached campanile was built in 1362.
The interior has a ship's keel roof and was restored in 1804 by Davide Rossi.
Works of art
- Giambattista Tiepolo (Virgin appearing to a Saint on the north wall of the nave)
- Gian Domenico Tiepolo (Stations of the Cross, Glory of Angels and Resurrection in the Oratory of the Crucifix)
- Tintoretto (Last Supper on the west wall)
- Veronese (Marriage of the Virgin in the north apse chapel)