Santa Maria Zobenigo in Venice
The Chiesa di Santa Maria del Giglio is a church in Venice, Italy.
The church, whose name translates into St. Mary of the Lily referring to the flower classically depicted as being presented by the Angel Gabriel during the Annunciation), is more commonly known as Santa Maria Zobenigo after the Jubanico family who founded it in the 9th century. The edifice is situated on the Campo Santa Maria Zobenigo, west of the Piazza San Marco. It was rebuilt by Giuseppe Sardi for Admiral Antonio Barbaro between 1678 and 1681 and has one of the finest Venetian Baroque facades in all of Venice. The exterior has marble relief maps of various places in which Barbaro served, including Candia, Zadar, Padua, Rome, Corfu and Spalato. His own statue in the centre is flanked by representations of Honour, Virtue, Fame and Wisdom. At the top of the facade is the Barbaro family arms carved in relief
Santa Maria Zobenigo is now part of the parish of San Moisè.
The nave ceiling is decorated with a large canvas by Antonio Zanchi. Along the nave are painted depictions of the Via Crucis (1755–1756) or Stations of the Cross by various artists, including Francesco Zugno, Gianbattista Crosato, Gaspare Diziani, and Jacopo Marieschi. The church contains the painting by the Flemish Peter Paul Rubens in Venice, the Madonna and child with young St. John. Behind the high altar in the sanctuary are paintings of the Evangelists by Jacopo Tintoretto. The organ shutters include works by Alessandro Vittoria, Sebastiano Ricci, Giambattista Piazzetta, Jacopo Palma il Giovane, and Gian Maria Morlaiter. Another painting by Tintoretto, Christ with two Saints in the north aisle, has been damaged by restoration.