Santo Stefano, Venice in Venice

Show Map

The Chiesa di Santo Stefano (Church of St. Stephen) is a large church at the northern end of the Campo Santo Stefano in Venice. It was founded in the 13th century, rebuilt in the 14th century and altered again early in the 15th century, when the fine gothic doorway and ship's keel roof were added. The tall interior is also Gothic and has three apses.

Santo Stefano is parish church of one of the parishes in the Vicariate of San Marco-Castello. The other churches of the parish are San Samuele, San Maurizio, San Vidal and the Oratorio di San Angelo degli Zoppi.

Works of art

  • Antonio Canova (stele commemorating Giovanni Falier in the baptistery)
  • Pietro Lombardo (tomb of Giacomo Surian)
  • Tullio Lombardo (two marble statuettes in the sacristy (attributed))
  • Tintoretto (The Agony in the Garden, The Last Supper and The Washing of the Disciples' Feet, all in the sacristy)
  • Paolo Veneziano (painted Crucifix in the sacristy)
  • Bartolomeo Vivarini (St Lawrence and St Nicholas of Bari in the sacristy)

And the saint Marks Basilica

Funerary monuments

  • Doge Andrea Contarini (d.1382)
  • Giovanni Falier
  • Francesco Morosini
  • Giacomo Surian
  • Giovanni Gabrieli (d. 1612) Great Venetian composer and organist at San Marco

External links



Source en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santo_Stefano,_Venice