Schackgalerie in München
The Schackgalerie is a museum in Munich. It is one of the noted galleries in this city. The museum is under supervision of the Bavarian State Picture Collection.
In 1855, Adolf Friedrich von Schack settled at Munich, where he was made member of the academy of sciences. Here he began to collect a splendid gallery of pictures, containing masterpieces of Romanticism with painters such as Anselm Feuerbach, Moritz von Schwind, Arnold Böcklin, Franz von Lenbach, Carl Spitzweg, Carl Rottmann, etc., and which, though bequeathed by him to the Emperor William II, still remains at Munich.
A building from Max Littmann (1907) next to the former diplomatic mission of Prussia in the Prinzregentenstrasse still houses the museum since the emperor decided to keep the collection in Munich.