St. Stephen's Basilica in Budapest

Show Map

St. Stephen's Basilica is a Roman Catholic basilica in Budapest, Hungary. It is named in honour of Stephen, the first King of Hungary (c 975–1038), whose mummified fist is housed in the reliquary.

Architecture

The church is named for Saint Stephen I of Hungary, the first King of Hungary (c. 975–1038), whose incorruptible right hand is housed in the reliquary.

This is the most important church building in Hungary, one of the most significant tourist attractions and the third highest building in Hungary.

Equal with the Hungarian Parliament Building, it is one of the two tallest buildings in Budapest at 96 m - this equation symbolises that worldly and spiritual thinking have the same importance. According to current regulations there cannot be taller building in Budapest than 96 m. It has a width of 55 m, and length of 87.4 m. It was completed in 1905 after 54 years of construction, according to the plans of Miklós Ybl, and was completed by József Kauser. Much of this delay can be attributed to the collapse of the dome in 1868 which required complete demolition of the completed works and rebuilding from the ground up.

The architectural style is Neo-Classical; it has a Greek cross ground plan. The façade is anchored by two large bell towers. In the southern tower is Hungary's biggest bell, weighing over 9 t . Its predecessor had a weight of almost 8 t, but it was used for military purposes during World War II. Visitors may access the dome by elevators or by climbing 364 stairs for a 360° view overlooking Budapest.

Concerts in the Basilica: The program of the concerts was adapted by Miklós Teleki. Together with András Virágh, they belong to some of the best organ artists in Hungary. The arias of the program are performed by Kolos Kováts, one of the most famous concert and oratorio singers in Hungary. Among numerous prizes, in 1992 he received also the highest prize Hungarian artists can acquire: the Kossuth Prize. The flute is played by Eleonóra Krusic who is already known for her performances with different orchestras from Barcelona to Zürich, Granz and Viena. Actual concert dates

Bells of the basilica

The basilica has six bells: one in the south tower and five in the north tower.

  • Great St. Stephan bell:

The largest bell in Hungary. Located in the south tower, it weighs 9250 kg and has a diameter of 240 cm. It was made by the Perner bell foundry in Passau, Germany in 1990.

  • Blessed Virgin Mary bell:

The oldest bell in the church, founded by Ferenc Walser in 1863 in [Pest]. It weighs 3100 kg and has a diameter of 178,5 cm.

  • St. Henry II. bell:

It weighs 2150 kg and has a diameter of 150 cm. Founded in Passau in 1993.

  • Blessed Gizella bell:

It weighs 1250 kg and has a diameter of 117,8 cm. Founded in Passau in 1993.

  • Saint Emeric bell:

It weighs 750 kg. Founded in Passau in 1993.

  • Saint Erzsébet (Elizabeth) from the House of Árpád bell:

It weighs 500 kg. Founded in Passau in 1993.

The great bell was consecrated on 20th August 1990, on the day of St. Stephan. The four smaller bells were consecrated three years later on the same day.

See also

  • Pest


External links



Source en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Stephen's_Basilica