Wasserturm Prenzlauer Berg in Berlin
The Wasserturm Prenzlauer Berg is Berlin's oldest water tower, completed in 1877 and in use until 1952. It is situated between Knaackstraße and Belforter Straße in Kollwitzkiez, in the Prenzlauer Berg locality of Berlin (part of Pankow district) and worked on the principle of using tubes to supply the rapidly growing population of workers.
Below the reservoir were the homes of the machinery operators who worked in the tower; these apartments - a landmark of Prenzlauer Berg - are still inhabited and in much demand. As a landmark, the tower was a part of two district coat of arms from 1920 to 1987 and 1987 to 1992.
An adjacent machine hall was the first concentration camp in Nazi Germany in the first half of 1933. The building was demolished in 1935.