Yorkdale Shopping Centre in Toronto
Yorkdale Shopping Centre is a large shopping mall in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. It contains over 250 stores and is located in the community of Downsview, in North York. It is the fifth largest shopping mall in Canada and also enjoys the highest sales per square foot of any mall in Canada, with current merchandise sales levels at over $1,000(CAD)/square foot. The centre draws in approximately 400,000 customers a week.
The mall opened on February 26, 1964, under ownership from the Trizec Corporation. It was the first mall to include two major Canadian department stores: Simpson's and Eaton's, under the same roof. At the time of its opening, it was the largest shopping centre in the world. However, the Ala Moana Center in Honolulu, Hawaii took this title as the largest mall in the world just two years after Yorkdale opened. MAXI Awards are one of ICSC's highest awards, and various awards are presented annually to shopping centres around the world for achieving high standards in marketing strategies and campaigns.
In January 2011, a press release stated an intention to expand the mall, adding another 145000 sqft, sufficient for 40 store fronts, and 800 underground parking spaces. The expansion will also double the number of seats at the food court, improve public access, and landscape portions of the property.
- Crate and Barrel — The United States premium home retailer opened its first Canadian flagship store at Yorkdale in the fall of 2008. A new two-story 35000 sqft building, similar to other newly opened Crate and Barrel stores in the US, was constructed on the northern part of the property, facing Highway 401.
- GEOX — Opened on May 3, 2005. GEOX is an internationally recognized Italian manufacturer of shoes using waterproof and breathable materials.
- Mango — Mango is a multinational company that sells women's clothing and accessories.
- True Religion Brand Jeans - True Religion opened in the Fall of 2010.
According to the International Council of Shopping Centers, more than 30 American retailers contacted mall management, wanting to open their first Canadian stores in Yorkdale after Crate and Barrel revealed that their first store outside the United States would open here in 2008. — Originally Simpson's, opened in 1964. (300,870 sq ft./27,951.7 m2)
- Cineplex Entertainment
- List of shopping malls in Canada
- List of malls in Toronto