Yueh Hai Ching Temple in Singapore
Yueh Hai Ching Temple (Chinese: 粤海清庙), also known as Wak Hai Cheng Bio in Teochew, is a Chinese temple in Singapore, and is located at Phillip Street in the Downtown Core, within the Central Area, Singapore's central business district.
Yueh Hai Ching Temple is Singapore's oldest Taoist temple. It was constructed between 1850 and 1855, and was rebuilt in 1895. The temple holds a special significance for the Teochew community, whose way of life was closely associated with the sea. It is the only temple in Singapore to have stunningly detailed three-dimensional moulded ornaments on its roofs. Chinese Emperor Guang Xu presented a plaque to the temple in 1907.
Restoration works, slated to begin after Chinese New Year in February 2011, will be carried out on the Yueh Hai Ching Temple's entire structure. Ngee Ann Kongsi, which owns the temple, will be committing $5 million to its restoration.
2. National Heritage Board (2002), Singapore's 100 Historic Places, Archipelago Press,
3. Lee Geok Boi (2002), The Religious Monuments of Singapore, Landmark Books,
4. Preservation of Monuments Board, Know Our Monuments